Wednesday, July 11, 2012

New Living-room Curtains


Originally posted 8/2/11 on a different blog

Dave and I decided we wanted curtains in our living room after we re-arranged it. The sun came though the blinds, and shined lines on the TV, which is annoying when you're watching a movie. So, we went to Hancock fabrics during their 50% off sale, and bought full price fabric.

My mom helped us sew it and this is how it turned out! I like it.
Our wall is actually "almond" color, a beige peach is more like it, but it looks bright yellow in this picture, for some reason.

I did a 2 inch ruffle on top, then a 3 inch hole for the rod to go through. The hem is about 2 inches, but I meant it to be 4 inches... I just didn't measure enough fabric out the first time. You have to add a couple inches to make up for stitching quarter inch edges, so it doesn't fray.
This was one of the first sewing projects i've done where i was mostly in charge... and completely without a pattern. :P

These curtains, we later realized, also helped insulate our apartment and saved us a bit on the utility bill. Definitely a nice side effect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment