Monday, October 22, 2012

Chili Cook-off 2012


My LDS ward had a chili and soup cook-off competition this last weekend. I created my own recipe from 'special ingredients' I had learned people put in their recipes last year. This year I brought that dish. I thought I'd win a slot for sure... but the judges were different...

However, my neighbor said she Loved my dish and that she's generally fairly picky, so she's asked for the recipe. This is a copy of the recipe I am giving her:


Keshia's Sweet and Spicy Chili

-Saute 1 lb hamburger (rubbed with red curry paste) and chopped green garlic-chives. After it's browned, add flour (to thicken and absorb grease) then add to soup pot.

-In soup pot put:
5+ cups water
5 sm. cans tomato sauce
EZ chili powder1/3 c. sugar
cinnamon1/2 bag frozen peas
1 c. cooked beans
1/4 c. dried onion
2 bay leaves
salt to taste
Bring to boil and let simmer 10+ minutes (to mesh flavors).
-----------------------------------
*NOTE - this is the recipe I put together after last year’s chili cook-off. I did it just a bit different this year - 
-2 lbs. hamburger + abt. 1 Tbsp red curry paste. 
-no green-garlic chives; I used green onion tops from the garden - walla walla onions. 
-6 cups water
-1.5 cups DRY kidney beans, soaked overnight, and cooked before adding to soup
-No dry onion, but 1 pint home-canned walla walla onion. (1-2 fresh med-large sweet onions, chopped, from the grocery store would work. Sauté them in oil or butter first before the meat goes in.)
-3 bay leaves
-Simmered in crockpot for 3 hours. 
------------------------------------
I’m glad you liked my recipe! 

Oh, PS, ‘Red Curry Paste’ can be found in Asian grocery stores, but likely you can just skip that ingredient and it’ll turn out about the same. Red Curry Paste consists of: dried red chili, garlic, lemongrass, salt, shallot, Galangal, Shrimp paste (shrimp, salt), Kaffir lime peel, pepper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment